New and Notable:
April 14, 2015, San Francisco:
Visa Options for International Entrepreneurs talk organized by Idea-to-IPO. Featured speaker Nadia Yakoob-Sway will cover President Obama’s new immigration actions as they relate to foreign national workers, students and entrepreneurs; the existing regime of temporary visas, such as the B-1, E, H-1B, J-1, L-1, and O-1; paths to permanent residence, such as employment, family and investment; common obstacles to obtaining a visa; and options for the EB-5 investor visa.
Free registration at Eventbrite.
April 15, 2015, Palo Alto:
Legal Landmines for Startups: What Entrepreneurs Need to Know presentation and Q&A by WilmerHale partner Daniel Zimmermann. Topics include Founders’ Equity, Protecting Intellectual Property (IP), Employee Compensation, Capital Raising, Independent Contractors and Interns, Choice of Legal Entity, and Working With Legal Counsel.
Tickets available for $17 at Eventbrite or $20 at the door.
Antone Johnson is writing at Gust Blog: “Thoughts on startups by investors that fund them and entrepreneurs that run them.”
Gust bloggers are seasoned industry experts including Gust Founder/CEO and New York Angels Chairman David S. Rose; Tim Berry, “the Obi Wan Kenobi of business plans”; veteran investor and angel group founder Bill Payne; renowned startup mentor Martin Zwilling; and alternative investing expert Bob Rice, author of The Alternative Answer and Three Moves Ahead. Gust is a professional investor relations platform for startups and the industry-standard funding application for angel groups and venture funds.
Click here for Mashtag, a unique blog observing social media, entrepreneurship, public policy, and all things at the intersection of people, capital, technology, and creativity.
The Bottom Line
Click here for The Bottom Line, a daily round-up compiled from the Twitter feeds of leading voices in tech entrepreneurship, Web 2.0, venture capital and angel financing, and the startup community in San Francisco/Silicon Valley and Los Angeles/Santa Monica, with a little bit of pure fun sprinkled on top. If you like it, please share it!
Term Sheet and Quora
We’ve launched a board on Quora, Term Sheet, described as “a hand-crafted collection of startup resources for entrepreneurs and investors ready to roll up their sleeves and dig into the gory details.” Term Sheet assembles the best words of wisdom, both in the form of Quora answers and in links to longer blog posts, written by luminaries ranging from Marc Andreessen to Fred Wilson and everyone in between. Visit Term Sheet on Quora, as well as its companion The Bottom Line, and click “Follow” to get the latest updates. You can also read our Quora answers to many frequently asked questions regarding startups, venture capital, angel investing, stock options, employee compensation, intellectual property, online liability, defamation, advertising law, and more. Antone Johnson was honored as one of Quora’s “Top Writers” and contributed to the book Best of Quora 2010–2012, available for free download in PDF format.
November 21, 2014, Santa Monica: Antone Johnson joins a panel of experienced tech leaders and investors at PyCon Startup Row’s 2015 season launch pitch event. At the MediaTemple stage on Santa Monica Pier, five early stage startups using Python in their technology stack will pitch for a place on PyCon’s Startup Row. Startups compete in a rapid succession of five-minute pitches, with five-minute Q&A led by the panel. Audience members vote for the PyCon Startup Row honoree by tweeting.
April 24, 2015, San Francisco: Hustle Con for non-technical entrepreneurs
Hustle Con is “a badass conference where the best non-technical founders (aka hustlers) teach how they got started and give practical advice on growing your startup.” Speaker lineup includes Tim Westergren, Jessica Scorpio, Dave McClure, James Beshara, Gagan Biyani and more.
Tickets available on the HustleCon site.
May 28, 2015, Santa Monica:
Techfire Ignite Summit returns, featuring Brandee Barker, Tony Conrad, Dan Morehead, and more. TechFire is Los Angeles’ leading tech summit and fireside chat series, renowned for featuring prominent speakers from Silicon Valley and across the nation — many of whom have previously spoken at SXSW, TechCrunch Disrupt, the Code Conference, and Web Summit.
Click here for tickets.
“Ask the Lean Startup Lawyer” at pariSoma
- Next Date TBD, San Francisco: Antone Johnson will spend the day onsite at pariSoma Innovation Loft‘s sleek coworking space at 169 11th Street (between Mission and Howard). All entrepreneurial techie and creative types welcome. Stay tuned for details and signup information.
Visit our Event Archive to read about past events in which Bottom Line Law Group participated as a presenter, sponsor or attendee.
Press Interviews and Quotes
- The Post-IPO World of Facebook GC Ted Ullyot, Law.com — Corporate Counsel, May 18, 2012
- Silicon Valley Lawyers Back JOBS Act — Cautiously, Law.com — The Recorder, March 22, 2012
- Why Are Lawyers So Expensive Even With The Excess Supply of Lawyers?, Forbes, March 6, 2012
- Facebook’s 99% , Inside Facebook, February 6, 2012
- Facebook’s Biggest Risks Explained, ReadWriteWeb, February 1, 2012
- What Silicon Valley Was Like Right After The Dotcom Crash: An Insider Perspective, TechCrunch, January 13, 2011
- In-House Counsel for Online Matchmaker Helps Keep Legal Harmony, National Law Journal, December 7, 2007
- eHarmony Settles With NJ AG, Wall Street Journal, November 19, 2008
Recent Publications by Antone Johnson:
- Facebook’s High-Stakes “Poker” Game, TechCrunch, December 29, 2012
- 5 ‘IP’ Mistakes Startups Should Avoid, Wall Street Journal, May 10, 2012
- Why Are Lawyers So Expensive Even With The Excess Supply of Lawyers? in Best of Quora 2010-2012, free eBook (PDF, 442 pages)
- Is writing specific instructions on the Internet on illegal activity protected free speech? Forbes, October 3, 2011
- This Week in Law: Antone Johnson appeared as a guest on This Week in Law to discuss NSA surveillance, online free speech and privacy rights, Bitcoin and more. Watch the meatiest part of the program beginning around 14:25:
- Martindale-Hubbell Connected Pulse:
Watch Antone Johnson’s interview with Mike Mintz in which they discuss social media law and international expansion, drawing on experiences at MySpace and eHarmony:
- CBC Radio All In A Day – “Crowdfunding Critic”: Conversation with host Alan Neal regarding the challenges and risks to investors inherent in crowdfunding (7 min. audio):
- New Threats to Cybersecuritypanel (streaming video 300k), Stanford Law School Program in Law, Science and Technology, 6th Annual E-Commerce Best Practices Conference, June 12, 2009
Document Templates and Examples
Visit us at Google+