New and Notable:
Gust Blog colleague Bob Rice has a newly published book, The Alternative Answer: The Nontraditional Investments That Drive the World’s Best-Performing Portfolios. Currently Alternative Investment Editor at Bloomberg Television, where he appears daily on “Money Moves with Deirdre Bolton,” Bob has been involved in the Alternatives world for more than 30 years.Gust is a professional investor relations platform for startups and the industry-standard funding application for angel groups and venture funds. For more on Gust Blog, see “Blogs” tab.
Recent Publications by Antone Johnson:
- Facebook’s High-Stakes “Poker” Game, TechCrunch, December 29, 2012
- 5 ‘IP’ Mistakes Startups Should Avoid, Wall Street Journal, May 10, 2012
- Why Are Lawyers So Expensive Even With The Excess Supply of Lawyers? in Best of Quora 2010-2012, free eBook (PDF, 442 pages)
- Is writing specific instructions on the Internet on illegal activity protected free speech? Forbes, October 3, 2011
Antone Johnson is writing under “Blog & Insights” at Gust Blog: “Thoughts on startups by investors that fund them and entrepreneurs that run them.”
Gust bloggers are seasoned industry experts including Gust Founder/CEO and New York Angels Chairman David S. Rose; Tim Berry, “the Obi Wan Kenobi of business plans”; veteran investor and angel group founder Bill Payne; renowned startup mentor Martin Zwilling; and alternative investing expert Bob Rice, author of the newly released The Alternative Answer as well as Three Moves Ahead. Gust is a professional investor relations platform for startups and the industry-standard funding application for angel groups and venture funds.
Click here for Mashtag, a unique blog observing social media, entrepreneurship, public policy, and all things at the intersection of people, capital, technology, and creativity.
The Bottom Line
Click here for The Bottom Line, a daily round-up compiled from the Twitter feeds of leading voices in tech entrepreneurship, Web 2.0, venture capital and angel financing, and the startup community in San Francisco/Silicon Valley and Los Angeles/Santa Monica, with a little bit of pure fun sprinkled on top. If you like it, please share it!
Term Sheet and Quora
We’ve launched a board on Quora, Term Sheet, described as “a hand-crafted collection of startup resources for entrepreneurs and investors ready to roll up their sleeves and dig into the gory details.” Term Sheet assembles the best words of wisdom, both in the form of Quora answers and in links to longer blog posts, written by luminaries ranging from Marc Andreessen to Fred Wilson and everyone in between. Visit Term Sheet on Quora, as well as its companion The Bottom Line, and click “Follow” to get the latest updates. You can also read our Quora answers to many frequently asked questions regarding startups, venture capital, angel investing, stock options, employee compensation, intellectual property, online liability, defamation, advertising law, and more. Antone Johnson was honored as one of Quora’s “Top Writers” and contributed to the book Best of Quora 2010–2012, available for free download in PDF format.
- June 9, 2013, Berkeley: Antone Johnson will speak on the challenges of equity crowdfunding and the SEC’s implementation of Title III (crowdfunding provisions) of the JOBS Act at the inaugural Crowdfunding West conference in Berkeley. The event promises a diversity of opinions on this timely subject. with perspectives from private investors, lawyers and entrepreneurs sharing their experiences and evaluating the potential of involving the general public in private investments. The goal is to help entrepreneurs make educated decisions about the benefits and drawbacks of different fundraising options.
- May 22, 2013, Santa Monica: Startups Uncensored this month will be a fireside chat with AngelList and Venture Hacks co-founder Babak Nivi, hosted by Docstoc CEO Jason Nazar. A graduate of MIT, Nivi has worked at VC firms including Bessemer Venture Partners and worked with startups backed by Sequoia Capital and Benchmark Capital among others. Registration is free (first come, first served).
- May 23, 2013, Santa Monica: TechZulu Tech Crawl is a tour of some of the hottest Silicon Beach companies. Each participating business will open its office for the duration of the crawl. Have a free beer or beverage, drop off a resume, see the office space or just kick back and meet the team in an informal setting. Register at Eventbrite.
- May 28, 2013, San Francisco: SF MusicTech Summit brings together visionaries in the evolving music/business/technology ecosystem, along with the best and brightest developers, entrepreneurs, investors, service providers, journalists, musicians, and organizations who work with them at the convergence of culture and commerce. Details and registration at sfmusictech.com.
“Ask the Lean Startup Lawyer” at pariSoma
- Next Date TBD, San Francisco: Antone Johnson will spend the day onsite at pariSoma Innovation Loft‘s sleek coworking space at 169 11th Street (between Mission and Howard). All entrepreneurial techie and creative types welcome. Stay tuned for details and signup information.
Visit our Event Archive to read about past events in which Bottom Line Law Group participated as a presenter, sponsor or attendee.
Press Interviews and Quotes
- The Post-IPO World of Facebook GC Ted Ullyot, Law.com — Corporate Counsel, May 18, 2012
- Silicon Valley Lawyers Back JOBS Act — Cautiously, Law.com — The Recorder, March 22, 2012
- Why Are Lawyers So Expensive Even With The Excess Supply of Lawyers?, Forbes, March 6, 2012
- Facebook’s 99% , Inside Facebook, February 6, 2012
- Facebook’s Biggest Risks Explained, ReadWriteWeb, February 1, 2012
- What Silicon Valley Was Like Right After The Dotcom Crash: An Insider Perspective, TechCrunch, January 13, 2011
- In-House Counsel for Online Matchmaker Helps Keep Legal Harmony, National Law Journal, December 7, 2007
- eHarmony Settles With NJ AG, Wall Street Journal, November 19, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell Connected Pulse:
Watch Antone Johnson’s interview with Mike Mintz in which they discuss social media law and international expansion, drawing on experiences at MySpace and eHarmony:
- CBC Radio All In A Day – “Crowdfunding Critic”: Conversation with host Alan Neal regarding the challenges and risks to investors inherent in crowdfunding (7 min. audio):
- oObly TV Facebook Watch: Antone Johnson spoke with Margaux Avedisian about Facebook’s historic IPO, including the company’s unique challenges and governance structure as a newly public company.
- New Threats to Cybersecuritypanel (streaming video 300k), Stanford Law School Program in Law, Science and Technology, 6th Annual E-Commerce Best Practices Conference, June 12, 2009
Document Templates and Examples
Visit us at Google+